Before I begin ranting and raving about apple cider vinegar and its many uses, I want to say that it's important to buy Organic & Unfiltered. You want it to contain the "Mother"- that's the murky looking, fermented stuff sitting in the bottom of the bottle. It is particles of good bacteria, proteins & enzymes.
So this versitile liquid has more than just a delicious taste! It is great for digestion, gut health & detoxification!
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) can stimulate digestion. Taking 1tsp-1tbsp 20-30 mins before eating will aid in production of bile and release of digestive enzymes, preparing your stomach to recieve food!
- ACV has a unique blend of vitamins, minerals & enzymes and possesses antimicrobial & antiseptic properties! This means it can help prohibit the growth of pathogens & un-friendly microorganisms.
- ACV promotes the growth of healthy gut bacteria. Having a healthy balance of good & bacteria is very important for effective digestion & absorption. Through maintaining of a healthy gut flora, you minimise the chance of Candida overgrowth (Candida Albicans- A specific type of yeast), which can lead to a range of health problems. Read more about Candida HERE.
- Although acidic in taste, ACV promotes alkilinity in the body. The pH in our body ranges throughout different areas & organs. Our blood sits at slightly alkaline- 7.35 however, due to the western diet having so many acid forming foods (fast, processed, packaged...), it has become more necessary for people to assist their bodies in maintaining an alkaline state in order to function in a healthy state.
- ACV aids detoxification in the liver through stimulating circulation: a healthy liver means efficient metabolism function, fat elimination, hormone excretion, removal of unwanted toxins & much more!
- A few studies have shown ACV to be beneficial with blood sugar regulation & improve insulin sensitivity in Type 2 diabetes, due to the naturally occuring chemical compound Acetic acid, found in apple cider vinegar.
*Remember, the best way to control blood glucose & insulin spikes is through elimination of refined carbohydrates & sugar!
So if you think Apple Cider Vinegar is for you, give it a go! If you've never tried it before, start with:
- 1tsp- 1tbsp diluted in a glass of water, on rising. Work up to 2tbsp. (If you don't like the taste, start with 1tsp) *As you become more & more used to it, the taste becomes sweeter!
- If you're enjoying taking it, you can have 1-2tbsp diluted in 1 glass water before each main meal.
A QUICK ACV DRESSING IDEA
Tahini & ACV Salad Dressing- 2tbsp unhulled or hulled tahini, 2tbsp ACV.
Whisk with a fork until smooth. Drizzle over your favourite leafy greens, steamed or roasted veg. Sprinkle with toasted nuts or seeds!
The Naked Seed Nutrition